Richard Craig Hamar
1979

Originally Geo. S. Hutchings (& Co.) (1893)

Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church

Sanctuary

Essex, CT, US

7 Ranks
Instrument ID: 6296 ● Builder ID: 2605 ● Location ID: 5975
⬆️ These are database IDs that may change. Don't use as academic reference.VIEW STOPLIST

Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit

This instrument has multiple revisions:

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

No images are available. If you have pictures of this instrument, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add Image

STOPLISTS

Selected Item:
View additional stoplist entries if they exist ☝️

Something missing or not quite correct?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: Unknown
Position: Unknown
Design: Unknown
Pedalboard Type: Unknown
Features:
2 Manuals 7 StopsMechanical (Unknown) Key Action

Stop Layout: Unknown
Expression Type: Unknown
Combination Action: Unknown
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Extant and Playable in this location

Scot Huntington on June 10th, 2021:

The organ was installed in a temporary ediface in 1893. Unusual for such a small organ, typically built with two divisions on one windchest, the organ was stacked with separate windchests, Swell over Great. When the church built a larger permanent structure in 1904, the organ was rebuilt by E.W. Lane for the basement chapel. Due to restricted height, the Swell was lowered and placed behind the Great in a horizontal layout, but without shortening the original upright frame stiles. When restored by Hamar in 1979, the organ was returned to its original stacked configuration and was restored without tonal alteration. The cost of the organ acquisition was $10,000, an astoundingly high figure for an organ of this size and date, when the typical small organ might be had for between one or two thousand dollars. The restoration cost was $20,000.


Database Manager on February 29th, 2012:

Updated through online information from T. Daniel Hancock. -- "Our Lady of Sorrows is a white frame building of no particular distinction built in 1926. The organ is a seven stop, two manual George Hutchings instrument, Opus 340 of 1893. In 1976 it was removed from the lower church of St. Margaret's RC Church in Dorchester, MA by the late Alan Laufman of the Organ Clearing House; it was restored and installed in Our Lady of Sorrows in 1977 by Richard Hamar. Once again Richard was able to describe for us what had to be done to restore the organ and reinstall it in its present location. Though very small, the Hutchings is surprisingly powerful and versatile, and it features the fine flue voicing for which Hutchings was justly admired. A young Ernest Skinner was the shop superintendant at Hutchings then, and it was there that he made a number of his innovations in organ mechanisms. This organ is purely mechanical action, however, as were most small Hutchings instruments. It was really a privilege to have the organist of the church, Irene Listorti, as our host. Irene received a warm round of applause when she told us that she has served as organist of this church for 40 years." (excerpted from Stephen Roberts posting to Piporg-L)


Database Manager on October 30th, 2004:

The original builder was Hutchings, George S. (1893, Opus 340).


Database Manager on October 30th, 2004:

Status Note: There 1980.


Database Manager on October 30th, 2004:

From St. Margaret's R. C., Dorchester, Boston, MA through the Organ Clearing House. Removed from there in 1976. Restored by R. Hamar, who returned the organ to original layout. Dedicated here on 30 Sep 1979.

Related Instrument Entries: Geo. S. Hutchings (& Co.) (Opus 340, 1893)

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society