Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
We are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, who make it possible for us to continue our mission of preserving and promoting the rich history of pipe organs across the globe.
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
Adding to Scot Huntington's notes below: this building erected 1875. Columbkille translates to "Columba of the Churches" according to church history guide . Windows depict St. Columba (Columbkille) founding the Iona Monastery.
Confirming that the majority of the organ's pipework is labeled No. 1004, with the exception of the Pedal Diapason which is labeled No. 2574-- the organ's immediate predecessor in the work list. It is very possible the organ was moved into this building from a previous structure named the St. Columba Cathedral and the H&H rebuild was part of the relocation.
This is an electrification and enlargement of an older Hook organ by Hook & Hastings. The style of the case and voicing suggests this is late 1870s/early 1880s instrument. An investigation of the pipework will reveal the organ number. I have a hunch this is No. 1004, 1880-- St. Columba's Cathedral R.C., listed on the Hook opus list for the same city. The organ's appearance and stoplist fit with a Hook instrument of 1880. There are added chestlets to expand the manual and pedal compass to the top of their respective keyboards. The current pitch of the organ is A437, suggesting the 1929 rebuild repitched at least the fluework, from the original pitch of A450 to A437, most likely with new low-C pipes, moving the old pipework up 1/2 step, and then sharpening the pipes. If they were trying to reach A440 instead of A435, A437 is as far as they could have gotten without damaging the pipework. The organ would be happier at A435. The reeds are in deplorable condition with taped-up scrolls. There is a donor plaque for a restoration of the organ in 1990, at which time all the pneumatic machines were releathered. Other than the tonal effect of the repitching and added stops, the organ does not appear to have been tonally altered.
Combination action does not work. Drawers on left and right of console are labeled "Sw & Ped Combs." and "Gr & Ped. Combs." but no mechanism remains
Played instrument today. Everything works. Console is in need of TLC, but the sound is absolutely beautiful.
Updated through online information from John Igoe. -- URL links to video, where organ is played ca. December 2014.
Identified from company publications as edited and expanded in The Hook Opus List 1829-1935, ed. William T. Van Pelt (Organ Historical Society, 1991).
Related Instrument Entries: E. & G.G. Hook & Hastings (Opus 1004, 1880)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit